Click on a topic below to find resources for each.
Earning a Certification in Volunteer Administration (CVA) confirms that you have the knowledge needed to competently attract, onboard and support volunteers. It is a self-study process involving an exam.
Individuals wishing to pursue a CVA must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum of the equivalent of three years full-time experience related to volunteer resources management. This experience can be a combination of several part-time positions, and can include both salaried and non-salaried roles.
- Minimum of 30 percent of current position related to volunteer resources management.
- One letter of professional recommendation from supervisor or colleague, verifying the candidate’s activity in the field and his/her appropriateness as a candidate for this credential.
Visit Council for Certification in Volunteer Administration (CCVA) site for details.
Earning your Certified Administrator of Volunteer Services (CAVS) provides recognition of being among the elite in a critical field of healthcare. CAVS is a premier credential based on a sound assessment that provides distinction in an increasingly competitive marketplace. It is a self-study process culminating in an exam.
Individuals wishing to pursue a CAVS credential must meet the following requirements:
- Work in a job where at least 50% of his/her time is related to volunteer management
- Fulfill one of the following requirements for education / work experience:
- Baccalaureate degree or higher plus two (2) years or paid associated professional experience in healthcare volunteer services management*
- Associate degree or equivalent plus three (3) years of paid associated professional experience in healthcare volunteer services management*
- High school diploma or equivalent plus four (4) years of paid associated professional experience in healthcare volunteer services management*
*Associated professional experience in healthcare volunteer services management refers to paid work experirence in a healthcare setting or provider of services to a healthcare facility in planning and program development, management of personnel and finances, organization and delivery of services, outreach, advocacy, public relations, and professional development.
Visit Association for Healthcare Volunteer Resource Professionals (AHVRP) site for details.
Certification and Degree Programs:
- North Carolina Association of Volunteer Administration Certificate in Volunteer Administration
- Humber College Volunteer Management Leadership Certificate
- Austin Community College Center for Nonprofit Studies Certificate in Volunteer Management
- Ongoing Courses and Classes
- Online Training Opportunities
To be considered for funding through SCAVA’s Reimbursable Mini-Grant Program, an affiliate officer or board committee chair may apply for the grant by completing the application, and then email the completed form to [email protected].
- Energize Inc. (resources for leaders of volunteers)
- e-Volunteerism Journal
- LinkedIn Tips
- 10 Common Mistakes Made by Non-Profits on Social Media
- A Strategic Guide to Social Media for Nonprofits
- Google for Nonprofits (includes Google Ad Grants, YouTube Nonprofit Program, Google Apps for Nonprofit including Gmail, and One Today by Google, a free mobile fundraising platform)
- VolunteerMatch Learning Center
- VolunteerPro Webinars
- JFFixler Group Maven Class
- Coyote Communications (Jayne Cravens publishes free resource lists on a variety of topics)
- Center for Nonprofit Excellence Online Learning Modules
- Points of Light Conference on Volunteering and Service – National conference for all professionals involved in volunteerism will be held in Detroit, Michigan on June 27 – 29
- 501 (c)onference – Regional conference for nonprofit leaders will be held in Los Angeles, California on June 1 – 3
- NCTech4Good – Regional conference for nonprofit leaders focusing on innovate ways to use technology to advance the mission of nonprofits that will be held in Durham, North Carolina on June 2 – 3
- Annual Symposium for Nonprofit Professionals and Volunteers – Learn what makes nonprofit organizations excel. Held in Chicago, Illinois on June 13
- MCON – National conference for anyone interested in social change held in Washington, D.C. on June 21 – 23
- YNPN National Conference – National conference for young nonprofit professionals will be held in Portland, Oregon on Aug. 5 – 7
- AL!VE and Better Impact Hybrid Conference – National conference with options to participate live in Orlando, Florida or via live stream locally on September 14 – 16
- Association for Healthcare Volunteer Resource Professionals Annual Conference – National conference for all healthcare volunteer managers will be held in Atlanta, Georgia on Oct. 8 – 11
- BBCon – Blackbaud conference for the philanthropic community will be held in National Harbor, Maryland on Oct. 26 -28
- TechNOW Conference – Regional conference highlighting technology trends and resources for nonprofit managers will be held in Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania on Oct. 27
- Net Impact – International gathering of students and professionals committed to making a lasting social and environmental impact will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Nov. 3 – 5
- IAVE World Volunteer Conference – International conference sponsored by International Association for Volunteer Effort will be held in Mexico City, Mexico on Nov. 7 – 10
- Nonprofit Storytelling Conference – National conference for any nonprofit employee who wants to improve their storytelling abilities, whether verbally, digitally, or in writing, will be held in Chicago, Illinois on Nov. 10 – 11
- Independent Sector Conference – National conference for nonprofit, foundation, and corporate leaders will be held Washington, D.C. on Nov. 16 – 18
- 2016 Nonprofit Leadership Conference – National conference for leaders of nonprofit organizations held in Kansas City, Missouri on Nov. 21
- SCAVA Conference – Statewide conference for leaders of volunteers will be held in the Lowcountry in January 2017. Details to be announced.
- Nonprofit Technology Conference – 2017 dates and location to be announced
- Southeastern Healthcare Volunteer Leaders – 2017 dates and location to be announced
- Southern National Service Training Conference – 2017 dates and location to be announced
- North Carolina Association of Volunteer Administration Statewide Conference – 2017 dates and location to be announced
- YTH Live – Youth+Tech+Health, 2017 dates and location to be announced
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education – Various conferences, summer learning institutes, and online trainings for staff at educational institutions
- Social Media for Nonprofits – Various conferences and trainings on utilizing social media effectively
- Fundraising Volunteers: Finding Them, Nurturing Them, and Sustaining Them
- High Impact Volunteer Engagement: The Movement is Now!
- What Gets Measured Gets Done: Measuring Volunteer Impact
- Volunteer Management Toolbox
- United Way Association of South Carolina’s 3 Year State Service Plan
- United Way Association of South Carolina’s Self-Sufficiency Standard
- 101 Volunteer Recruitment Secrets – VolunteerMatch
- Technology and Today’s Volunteers
- International Journal of Volunteer Administration
- Council for Certification in Volunteer Administration
- Energize, Inc.
- North Carolina Center for Non-Profits
- Leader to Leader Institute
- Compass Point Non-Profit Services
- Non-Profit Risk Management Center
- The Thanks Company
- Points of Light Institute
- Non-Profit Times
- Youthworks Links and Ideas
- South Carolina Association of Non-Profit Organizations
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Volunteer Today
- Volunteer Match
- Fact Sheet: Volunteer Background Checks